When summer approaches I get giddy with excitement for many reasons. Sure there’s the great outdoor social aspect, but when it comes to getting dressed, nothing comes close to just throwing on a dress and running out the door. Summer shift dresses are so versatile that they are great for all seasons when you might wear stockings, pants or leggings underneath. But it all starts with the perfect summer shift dress, so here’s some of the things I look for:
1. Fabric – When I’m out shopping I take my hand and scrunch the dress. Does it wrinkle? Even online, I take note of the fabric and go with ones that won’t crease. I find that wrinkle free always has me looking my best, and I always look polished.
2. Versatility – The simpler the dress the more use you will get out of it. For example, this black & white shift dress can be worn with flats, heels, jackets, coats, cardigans etc. You will get more bang for your buck if you can find more ways to wear it.
3. Detail – As basic as the dress is, the back detailing is what sold me. That alone transforms a basic shift dress into something a little special. And as an added bonus, it’s got pockets that flatter perfectly. That’s a double win.
4. Tailoring – Let’s be honest, one size does not fit all, so I take into account how easy would it be to get tailored. I’m petite so I usually get my hems raised. The goal is what looks best on you, and if it’s the right dress, and all it takes is a slight adjustment to make it better, that’s another win right there.
5. Simplicity – Going with basic colors, a color block pattern or simple prints such as stripes and florals, bring the dress longevity. These styles are always in fashion, and it allows you to accessorize more freely.
A Perfect Summer Shift Dress:
Find yours with these 5 quick tips.
Photographed by Patric Massou
Other Shift Dresses That Caught My Eye:
Banana Republic Dress