As the saying goes, “New Year, New You!” – Yep, I’m on board. So with that comes, cleaning, purging, list writing and a slew of ideas to make us better ourselves for the new year. Accessories anchor any outfit, so why not spend a little time getting your jewelry stash in order. Here’s what to purge […]
You might own a ton of designer pieces, and love to take perfect instagram-worthy shots to show your style, but to have true style, the type that makes people say “where did you get that” or have people wonder how the pulled a look together, that takes time. To have a full understanding of who you […]
The easiest rules for safe online shopping that I adhere to myself.
1. Look for a good return policy. This way you can shop with confidence, knowing returns are easy, whether it’s in-store or online.
2. Look for the fine print. Especially with imports from another country, due to taxes and tariffs. You don’t want to be surprised by extra import fees.
3. Always pick “Check out as a Guest”, unless you shop with that merchant a lot. They don’t need to store your personal information.
4. Look for FREE SHIPPING, and if possible free returns. It’s an added bonus making you want to shop with that merchant.
5. Look for a good return policy. AGAIN. Cannot state this enough. It will save you $$ and very few headaches in the end. HAPPY SHOPPING!!
Ok admit it. We all have items in our wardrobe that we have been MEANING to fix, whether its a missing button on a shirt or tailoring for pants or a dress. Shoes that need a new sole, or a quick polish. Jewelry that has a broken link, or has lost it’s lustre. Before you know it, you have amassed a collection of unwearables. Here’s how to wake up your wardrobe in a snap.
1. Start with clothes, shoes, jewelry then accessories. Go through every single item – and if it is not ready to wear right now, then take it out of closet. Only what’s inside is ready to go.
2. Divide the categories into piles, and sort by what needs to be fixed right now, and what can wait a week. Or if your eager and budget is not a problem, take them to get fixed all at once. You would be surprised at how many items will be on your list. Just in clothing I had 22!
3. Have a go to Tailor, Shoe repair place, and Jeweler in your arsenal of need to know contacts. Stat. Ask friends, read reviews, and then you will be better equipped at getting items repaired as opposed to letting them linger. Those three musketeers are your most underutilized best friends.
4. Invest in your own small fix it kit. One for shoe repairs/polish. One for sewing/buttons/simple tailoring. One for polishing/maintenance of leather bags. Being able to do your own little tasks like sewing on a button, gives you a new skill, and a new appreciation of your item. Trust me on this one.
5. The item – clothing, shoes, jewelry and accessories ONLY goes back into the wardrobe when it’s in tip-top shop. The best closet to shop in should be your own. Make sure everything is tip-top chic, just like you.
Isabel Marant for H&M Collection was my first “capsule collection” experience. When a super talented highly coveted expensive designer teams up with a powerhouse big-box fashion store, it’s a pretty big deal. The “limited edition” capsule collection is created offering the designers styles at a fraction of the namesake price. When I say Limited, believe me, it’s limited! My five key lessons learned from the Isabel Marant For H&M Collection:
1. Plan if you really REALLY want to attend. I thought I did, but arrived 20 minutes after the store opened, which was a big mistake as I had planned to arrive early. In 20 minutes 1/2 the merchandise was gone.
2. If the lookbook is available online, then make a list of what you like and print out the images to show sales assistants if need be. This way you can strategize where to spend your time, as it’s a mad dash to grab it all. Thankfully the collection was available to view online beforehand.
3. Start grabbing. “If you snooze you lose” as the saying goes. Grab multiple sizes as you never know what’s going to fit.
4. Befriend the other shoppers there. TRUST ME. Yes it’s a mad dash, but when you’re in the line for the changing room, it’s a great way to say “hey I’m a size [blank] if you have anything you don’t want in that size could I have it?” This happen 5 times today inline – way to go girl power!
5. If you think you can do it all online, well think again. What happens when too much traffic comes to a site is it crashes. In this case the H&M website crashed – they did have a ticketing queue, but without access to the site whats the point?!
I’m a big believer in energy in the home. Here are some quick tips to elevate that CHI:
1. If you have any square table, place something round on top of it. This is how the chi circulates.
2. Two mirror’s should never face each other. The energy reflects off of the other, hence it doesn’t circulate.
3. Never place a desk, bed, or sofa with its back to the door. You will give your power away.
4. Always close the toilet lid when flushing the toilet. Apart from the germ factor, you would be flushing money down the toilet. And close the door!
5. De-clutter. Energy should flow freely and cannot when there is mess. Minimalism and simplistic surrounds creates great harmony which creates great chi.
If you want to learn more here’s a great book. Easy, practical and very spot on! Clear Your Clutter With Feng Shui.
1. Get a pen & paper and write it out. You could do it on a computer, but the physical act of writing by hand is that there is EMOTION in writing. Not in typing.
2. More than one in four people say that they worry about how angry they sometimes feel. Laugh. Distract your anger with another emotion. It always works.
3. Get busy. The physical act of doing gets a lot of things done. Maybe it’s time to clean out that cupboard or garage. Best time management ever!
4. Take your lunch break early, or take a trip to Starbucks. 45% of people regularly lose their temper at work. Have hot coffee not a hot temper.
5. Go into your car, or a safe place where no one can hear you – and scream as loud as you can. It lets out energy and heat from the body. Eastern medicine says so!
1. More than 75% of the fish you eat is mislabeled. Got sushi?
2. The world is extremely over farmed in regards to oceanic supply. Time to start eating worms, huh….
3. 87% of America’s seafood comes from overseas. No more Cod in Cape Cod y’all.
4. The Red Snapper that you buy is sometimes actually Talapia. Not weird in the least.
5. So go ahead, the next time there is an election, do like the rest of you did which is:
– a. Dont vote – b. Choose to not know what goes in your food.
1. 75% of Adults have dental fear ranging from mild to severe. Get over it.
2. Know your body & listen to what it says. Sometimes it throws rocks as a warning, the other times it throws stones. And they hurt god damn it.
3. Shaking with a firm handshake shows confidence. Anything else is limp. Anything less than limp, is well….
4. 56% of people believe what they read, and a quarter of those statistics are not true. Believe it or not.
5. Listen. Assess. Conclude for yourself.
1. There is a 100% chance you will not break. Trust and you will succeed. Be a Viking damn it!
2. When your cable goes out, and you dont know what to do with yourself – Suck it up.
3. 74% of people fear public speaking. Overcome any fear – tackle it anyway you can, Braveheart Style.
4. We live and die with ourselves. YOU are your own competition. Re-enacting the Terra Cotta Warriors is ALWAYS plan Z.
5. The Army has a great motto: Lead, Follow, or get the F–k out of the way. So which one do you do?